Thursday, November 18, 2010

Cognitive Tools to Enhance Learning Experiences



Cognitive learning theories reflect a process of putting together new information within the context of existing knowledge.  In using instructional strategies that reflect the brain’s processing abilities, learners become aware of why and how they are thinking throughout the learning process. 

Take a moment to join a conversation with some interesting cognitive learning theorists:




As the brain inputs information into one’s memory it resides in short term memory until enough rehearsal allows it to transition into long term memory (Orey, 2010).  In our course text, chapter four presents how cues, questions, and advance organizers support student’s cognitive abilities to “retrieve, use, and organize information about a topic (Pitler, Hubbell, Kuhn, & Malenoski, 2007).  Effective cues hint about the learning to come while questions provoke student’s thinking about prior experiences.  This information then becomes the framework to classify and structure the new learning.  Cognitive learning reflected in cues, questions, and advanced organizers allow students to organized their old and new ideas through words, graphics, or both.  Advanced organizers such as expository, narrative, or graphic organizers serve “as a kind of template or scaffold to help to organize knowledge and to structure it” (Novak, 7).  This powerful yet simple tool “facilitates meaningful learning and the creation of powerful knowledge frameworks that not only permit utilization of the knowledge in new contexts, but also the retention of the knowledge for long periods of time” (Novak, 7).
  


The skills of summarizing and note taking discussed in chapter six of our text also correlates to cognitive learning theories. In teaching elementary school, I find note taking and summary skills are very difficult for my students as they are still learning what information can be deleted, substituted, or kept (Pitler, et al, 2007).  Fourth grade is a pivotal year for transitioning from concrete ideas to more abstract thinking.  Because most of their learning to this point has been easy to identify within a textbook or handouts, students struggle to put together ideas to develop their own understanding of a concept.  I find many are hesitant to trust their own intellect and instead want teacher approval for whether or not they are thinking correctly.  Summarizing skills come from the ability to effectively analyze how and what is necessary to delete, substitute, or keep.  My students are at the beginning stages of this developmental learning. 

Virtual field trips reflect an excellent instructional strategy that promotes cognitive learning.  Students’ “prior knowledge is important” (Smith, 1999).  Students who have not developed past experience to their current learning must find a way to develop a network of learning for helping connect future learning.  Virtual field trips allow students the opportunity to go where they cannot physically go and promote “episodic memories…a rich experience adding to a network of ideas” for a student’s learning (Orey, 2010).


Read about biology students at North Allegheny Intermediate High School traveling to a marine laboratory in Florida for 25 minutes and a teacher's quest in learning more about computer technology


More virtual field trip websites:

Continue your cognitive learning through an introductory video about Mayer’s Cognitive Theory of Multimedia.   





References:

Laureate Education, Inc. (Executive Producer). (2010). Program five. Cognitive learning theory [Webcast]. Bridging learning theory, instruction and technology. Baltimore, MD:Author.

Novak, J. D., & Cañas, A. J. (2008). The theory underlying concept maps and how to construct and use them, Technical Report IHMC CmapTools 2006-01 Rev 01-2008. Retrieved from the Institute for Human and Machine Cognition Web site:

Pitler, H., Hubbell, E., Kuhn, M., & Malenoski, K. (2007). Using technology with classroom instruction that works. Alexandria, VA: ASCD.


Smith, M. K. (1999). The cognitive orientation to learning. In The encyclopedia of
            informal education. Retrieved from http://www.infed.org/biblio/learning-cognitive.htm

5 comments:

Nick Toombs said...

I like your thoughts on the difficulties students have with summarizing. It is definitely tough for students to make that leap toward independent intellectual thought. I still struggle with getting my seventh graders to trust the work they do or ask themselves the appropriate questions to decide if their answers are reasonable. What strategies do you use with your students to promote the type of thinking you want?

jperales said...

Kitty:

I like your comic strip of the two types of learners! That gave me visual representation of a kinesthetic and read/write learner. If I didn't know what those two types of learners were, I would have a better understanding after reading the comic strip. Thanks for the additioanl links to virtual field trips. I am having trouble finding a trip that will work for my classes.

John P.

Layna said...

Kitty,

The comic strip was a great visual for the two types of learners. My thoughts are that the young boy is a more hands-on type learner. The great thing about this comic strip is the expression on the learners’ faces. They are happy and content with their individual learning style. At the end of the project, the learning results should be very similar.

Dean Phillips said...

I too, enjoyed the comic. Did you create that? and if so with which tool? Summarizing seems to be a difficult concept for most students. They either want to write too much or not enough. Motivation seems to be a big part in learning as well. Do you have issues in your school with student motivation?

FrmKATripp said...

Nick, I have to admit it is a struggle for me to come up with ideas to stimulate my students towards independent learning. I rely heavily on the ideas of others to help me grow in this area. I see how I struggle at times with my own higher level thinking skills in intellectual thinking, so I'm continually learning and growing in these areas. One strategy I have learned is to be a good listener and encourager for my students. As I have them explain their thinking and encourage them to continue digging, I find they begin to develop and idea of independent thinking.

The comic strip was a favorite of mine. I found it online and thought it was an excellent visual for what we have been learning in class. Understanding learning styles helps me to determine what approaches to use with my students.

Motivation has definitely been a challenge across the board with all my students throughout my years of teaching. I know this comes many times from cultural and family issues that is out of my control. I think this challenge gets me down the most when I've poured my heart and soul into creating motivating engaging lessons and the students still don't respond. I think this will be one of the biggest challenges for teachers for many years to come!