Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Reflection: 6714, Reaching and Engaging All Learners Through Technology


Dr. Carol Ann Tomlinson and many other instructors within the last eight weeks have helped further develop within me insight and understanding in how to best meet the individualistic needs of my students.  Through various articles, videos, and reading within the course text, I have further developed a deeper understanding of how students learn in various ways, “some by hearing, others, by doing, some alone, others in the company of peers, some in a rapid-fire fashion, others reflectively (Tomlinson, 2001).  This learning brings relevance to my professional approaches as a teachers as I refine my teaching approaches and instructional strategies. 
In reflecting back over what I have learned in the last eight weeks, I have encountered new learning and developed further understanding of prior learning.  The concepts of Universal Design for Learning were completely new to me, and brought a world of understanding of how to meet a vast array of diverse needs within a wide variety of students I teach and will teach.  While I had heard of Differentiated Instruction, I had not received enough effective training in how to successfully implement these strategies.  Through the CASE website and many online resources and strategies provided through my group assignments, I feel equipped with a toolbox of invaluable resources helping me reach the goal of accommodating each individual student need within my classroom. 
Taking into consideration the many concepts I have learned in class, one of the main issues I would  like to address within my classroom is learning to get into the minds of my students.  Technology makes this venture easy and accessible for effective implementing this into my learning environment for my classroom.  Technology plays a vital and intrigual part of my implementation of UDL and DI.  Tools such as online surveys and student inventories will allow me to determine student interests, likes, dislikes, and other invaluable information necessary for understanding the various needs of my students.  This tool will provide many diverse ways for students to have freedom in sharing their their input and ideas for each curriculum unit.  Another excellent technology resource I found for ideas of implementing UDL and differentiating various subjects is K8 Access Center.  Valuable information such as differentiating ideas for each subject, and teaching and learning straties are provided, allowing teacher to chose from a pleathera of strategies and suggestions for meeting the diverse needs of all students.
Through this class, I have been challenged to develop my professional understanding about UDL and DI.  Through my initial learning, I have been encouraged to not only learn about these concepts, but also continually evaluate how I can implement these concepts into the the daily strategies and procedures of my classroom.  I am excited to take these next steps to better serve and meet the diverse needs of all my students.  
An immediate adjustments to my instructional practice regarding the use of technology integration as a result of my learning from this course will come in the form of evaluating my curriculum units about how I can initially begin implementing small steps of UDL and DI.  Many times it is frustrating through trying to enact to much to quickly, but I am determined these approaches hold to much value for instructing my students that I want to build slowly and gradually to ensure the success of my plan.   
In viewing the class and group resources on differentiating instruction, I have been struck by how many helpful sites and quickly available information is to support me in this new journey.  A vast amount of assistance is available, and I am encouraged that I don’t have to “reinvent the wheel.”  I am truly excited about my develeopmental learning form this course!  

No comments: