Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Progress Report of Game Plan ~ Week of March 28

Thank goodness for the refreshing time of spring break as I've come to the planning process with a fresher, clearer mind in how to approach accomplishing my GAME plan.  

As I have spent time this week researching technology mentors and resources relating to my two goals, one simple idea became clearly obvious to me about my first goal.  Each resource that captured my attention and effectively demonstrated student reflection and collaboration highlighted the use of a vibrant, growing, interactive blog.  While I have a class blog within my website with SchoolWorld, its capabilities are limited, and I'd have to say it is not accomplishing what I desire and am drawn to in other great classroom blogs!  I have had an internal struggle for the last year about changing my blog, but I knew this would be a bit of a complicated process, so I kept putting it off.  After thinking through and contemplating how I would accomplish goal 1 of my GAME plan, I knew it was time to change blogs!  One factor that made this switch easier to accomplish is the familiarity I have developed with blogspot.com because of my blogging experiences in graduate school.  This week I have successfully launched our new class blog, and cannot wait till my students return to school to get them started in the collaborative process!!!


Not only will my new blog help me accomplish goal 1, but I am wanting to use this platform as a springboard into students using technology to pursue their individual curiosities sharing them with the class and our blog audience.  Not only will our class blog be used in collaboration about creative student learning, but it will also be a place to document student curiosities, learning goals, and assessment of individual and group progress within academic learning.  The blog become a type of journal where students share and fellow collaborators become active participants in goal setting and assessing of individual and group progress.  


I have to admit, my confidence in accomplishing my GAME plan has grown in leaps and bounds this week.  I feel as if I final have the focus for implementation of my goals.  As I move forward, my questions are about how to work around my student teacher's solo teaching time and what will be my first couple of academic activities that will easily lend to collaboration, student curiosities, goals, and assessments.  


Here's an excellent article I came across this week about a 3rd grade class in Minnesota using their blog in an effective way:
     They're learning to write, and they've got readers



3 comments:

Carrie said...

I too had the revelation that the blog I was currently using was no longer meeting the needs of what my students and I wanted to accomplish. I have decided to venture into trying out a wiki with my students because it has more capabilities than the blog I was using. Good for you for taking the next step! It is always fun to introduce something new to students, your enthusiasm is contagious! Good luck to you!

SusanKraussBlog said...

Congratulations on getting your blog started, Kitty. I think it should prove a very valuable classroom tool for you.
I agree with Carrie--your enthusiasm shines right through in your postings and I think it will ignite excitement in your students.
A blog is such a fun and creative way to further connect to our students and develop the learning community.
Thank you for sharing the link to it.

Susan

Joe said...

I also have decided to look at bringing a wiki into the mix and not so much blogging any more. My kids love blogging do not get me wrong, but I can sense they are in their comfort zone now. They know it, its easy, and they blow through it. I have decided I need to bring a wiki into the mix. It gives them a blogging sense with so much more they can learn. I am sure they will embrace it just like they did blogging.